Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Alley

(Now, if you don't like horror don't read this mkay)

I never would have believed that one day I would see something that made my skin crawl and my fear send me clutching to the darkness of a shrouded corner. The fact that I made it out alive to write this down is a miracle in itself since the horrors of the week before will forever scar my mind. My writing is shaky at best and if anyone can read these words later they will understand why I am doing what I need to do.
What would make a person walk down the twisting dirty alleys of a foreign city anyway? Its hard to imagine doing this alone, but I did out of boredom maybe or perhaps adventure. It really does not matter now, the only thing that matters is that I end this soon. But first you must know what I saw that night.
I started out at around 9 pm on a cold February night, the city I was in was quiet already and the lights were faint as I entered the dark narrow passage. I had drank myself to a nice buzz and feeling the rush of invincibility I pressed on. I turned a few corners and did not notice anything at first, but soon I heard a rustling coming from behind me. I turned but nothing was there, so I walked on. Soon I noticed it was getting louder and seemed closer, so I decided to hide in a corner and wait for whatever was coming.
I waited for what seemed forever until finally I noticed a small movement at the end of the road. It was small and seemed to be shuffling. I pushed farther into the wall to avoid being seen. I thought it was a dog or cat, but as it got closer I noticed it was more human shaped. A loud wheezing was coming from it and when it moved the sound of sharp claws scratched across the hard ground. I moved my foot just a bit to wake it up and the thing turned and looked right at me. I saw something I wish I could forget forever in that glance. The face was crumbled up and looked like dust with rivulets of dark hair coursing the flesh. The mouth was shaped like a sucker, sharp dangling teeth twitching inside the slimy hole. The eyes were deep gold with red dots in the middle. The dots widening trying to focus on me. I took a deep breath and it locked in on that sound. It moved toward me faster, shaking and lunging on shapeless fleshy nubs. I stood and moved away from it, seeking the way I had come in. It growled at me something that I will forever hear in my nightmares. I had no scream then, it was almost to me and I was frozen by the sight of it. I managed somehow to turn and run, I could hear it behind me shaking and gasping. The gurgling sounds rushing from its fish like mouth. I ran as fast as I could, hearing it always behind me almost on me.
I finally reached the end of the alley and burst out into the street. I turned and saw it still coming, but at the end it stopped. I saw it stand and what I saw sent me running for my room and the darkest corner I could find to hide. The terrible truth that was in that creature stood out from its chest and forced me to never stop crying out in the night. I can not begin to describe the horror of that night or what fell from the creature onto the cold stone road, thousands of slimy rotting shadows on the ground. Before I managed to run for my life, I heard it call out to me. It said it would find me and make me feel the pain that I had seen in its eyes.
Now as I sit here I know it is coming for me. The red growing in its eyes. I think it has found a way in here through the pipes in the water where it comes from. I can hear it now, twisting up through the drains. Its claws raking the steel and its growl closer and closer. Now I must go and do the terrible thing I need to do, it is the only way to stop the torture I will receive if I do not. I can not take it anymore, I have to end it now. I hear it! It is coming, it is too late, I see it!
-This letter was found later that night by the manager of the hotel. It seems that people heard a loud scream coming from the room. Soon after the manager opened the room and what he saw made him run screaming for the police. The room was covered in grey slime, water was dripping everywhere. In the bathroom, the pipes on the tub were bent, broken, and twisted out of shape, the police seem to think that the blood and hair found in the pipes was from the renter of the room. How she could have gotten in the pipes was a mystery but there was also a hand and leg pieces not to far down. The letter was dismissed as delusion, and the conclusion was that someone had dismembered her and pushed her down the pipes. Why there was slime all over the room was never solved, nor any other pieces of the body found.

3 comments:

Impala Mama said...

You know this is not the first time you have desribed this face. In fact, I do believe I have a quick drawing of one that you showed me back in high school. Are your demons showing through in your fiction?

Outdoorgirl said...

Now I am scared of my office…..Thanks….hehehehehehe

Impala Mama said...

By the way Riss, don't you think you should take me out of your hippie column??